Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Amsterdam Weekend!

 August 1st-3rd

This weekend was insane, and by “insane” I mean, “insanely freaking fun!” Oh my goodness, Amsterdam is a weekend for the books and I loved it so much I may go back again this summer. Never have I been so fascinated and culturally shocked before—what an experience! Although a stressful start, I tackled my best friend when she came to get me. Elizabeth is one of my best friends and roommates from college and since she’s doing Camp in Baumholder, Germany, we decided to meet up in Amsterdam. We’ve had this tripped planned for almost two months and it was definitely worth the wait! So I spent the majority of the weekend with her and her three friends from her campsite.

We woke up early Saturday morning and walked over a half an hour to Heineken. Why take the train and spend money when you can get some walking in, huh? :) We arrived at Heineken with our tickets and waited in line until it opened at 10 a.m. on the dot! The Heineken Experience definitely goes above and beyond its popular reputation. Even if you aren’t a beer person, it is definitely worth it to go because they show you how to brew beer, what ingredients go into it, how to use the tap, etc. We had the best time! However, we did not expect to feel the beer as strongly as we did. European beer has a higher alcohol content, and Heineken is no exception. We are only allowed two free beers, so I obviously took advantage of that. However, the bartender who showed us how to run a tap, gave me one for free and one for being pretty hahaha. And the other bar didn’t even check to see if we used our freebee chips, thus resulting in 5 beers and a very tipsy Rachel by noon.










After lots of water and finding a coffee shop with actual coffee to buy, we made our way to the “I AMSTERDAM” sign for a quick picture. Shortly after we hit the Gay Pride Parade for a few hours, which was freaking fabulous and crazy packed! But by this time we were exhausted and very very sleepy. So we headed back to our hostel to freshen up until our bike tour at 4. Unfortunately, our bike tour was cancelled because it started pouring buckets for about an hour. We grabbed a very late lunch and poor Liz almost fell asleep in it. We seriously couldn’t function after very few hours of sleep, lots of walking, and a good amount of beer. It was a little rough. From there, we headed out around town while her friends grabbed dinner somewhere else.










We hit the Red Light District, where I witnessed the most impactful cultural shock I’ve ever experienced. Now, I’ve always heard about it and knew what it was, but let me tell you, it is a completely different experience and feel when you are in the smack dab middle of it! I felt so much sadness and shock looking at these women in the windows. I understand that everyone makes their own decisions, but I cannot believe that these women willingly chose this “career.” I believe that they were manipulated and believed they had no other options. How sad is that you believe yourself to be of so little worth and have no other options?! Everyone laughs at this and think it’s funny, but the fact that tourists like myself, take the time to go see it, is quite disturbing and only reinforcing this morally corrupt business. It was just so real and I was literally shocked. Elizabeth was too, but she is more emotionally mature than myself and held it together. I'm not saying I lost it in public, but the whole experience just hit me. 













Needless to say, we didn’t end up in the Red Light District for very long and instead, opted for a more picturesque part of town. The Dam Square is the historic section of Amsterdam that is conveniently located in the center of town. There are lots of tourist-y shops, which I love and actual coffee shops. I just LOVE walking around with a cup of coffee in my hand and exploring. I really don’t care for clothes shopping, but souvenir shopping in a new city is quite exciting, as well as taking in all the scenery. Also, almost everyone in Amsterdam speak really good English, so that’s always a plus!

After exploring for a bit, we grabbed a very late dinner and then Elizabeth, her friend Jessica, and I went to the Ice Bar, which is literally a bar made of ice! Unfortunately, we went around 11:30, which is at the height of the chaos that is the Pride Parade After Party. Amsterdam even goes as far to have open urinals in the streets...gross! Anywhoo! After 45 minutes, we finally found it! We arrived and got one cocktail and then were instructed to wear parkas and gloves for the actual “ice bar.” We walked inside a separate room and it was literally made of ice and freezing!! We got two free drinks there and spent the time taking pictures and laughing our butts off because of the ridiculousness of the whole thing. This will for sure be a fond memory for many years to come. Who drinks at an Ice Bar? I mean, c’mon! We planned on going out afterwards, but since had such a successful and busy day, we decided to call it a night around 2.

My first cocktail

Our really "cute" parkas that smelled horribly :/




Jessica posing with the polar bear
We woke up around 7 a.m. to get in line early for the Anne Frank Museum. It was booked on Saturday, so we knew it would be worth it to get an early start to see it. It is difficult to find the words to express what I felt while walking through the house that she and her family hid in for two years. You have a deeper understanding of what it felt like to live in fear in this tight and dark house for two years. Throughout the tour they had video excerpts, pages from her diary, pictures of her family, etc. and it made you feel for these people. Anne was just a young girl and yet she handled herself so well during this time with so much eloquence and bravery shown between the lines in her diary. From what I understood, Anne’s father’s work colleague and their secretary hid them for two years until someone ratted them out to the SS on the streets of Amsterdam. Anne and her family were taken to different concentration camps. Anne’s friend, a German citizen, and therefore immune from Nazi persecution would throw food over the fence to her when she was imprisoned. Devastatingly, neither Anne nor her friend knew that Otto Frank (her father) was still alive, so Anne died of typhus a month before liberation believing there was nothing left to live for. Her father was the only survivor of their family and lived until his 90s. Shortly after the war ended, her father published her diary, which became very popular of course. The one thing that struck me hard was when we saw a interview with her dad and he said something along the lines of…after reading her diary, he realized that you really don’t know your child as well as you thought you did. And that to me is just so unbelievably poignant and honest. I definitely recommend the tour of course, but I will go only once. It’s too much for my emotional self to handle haha :)

After the museum, we took a few more pictures and then Elizabeth had to leave to catch the train :( but I had the best time this weekend and am so grateful for that! I waited for my girls to finish up at the museum, so I ordered a small snack and a glass of wine alongside the canal and enjoyed some alone time for a little bit :)


What a poignant collection of photographs 

Beautiful view from the museum

Love you, Lizard!

This is so cute and then there's the post right there..



Found my girls :) 

Dutch cheese is delicious!

After the museum, we took a few more pictures and then Elizabeth had to leave to catch the train :( but I had the best time this weekend and am so grateful for that! I waited for my girls to finish up at the museum, so I ordered a small snack and a glass of wine alongside the canal and enjoyed some alone time for a little bit :)

Once my girls finished up, we headed through town for a bit more exploring and to grab some lunch. From there, we headed to catch an earlier train so we could get back in time for curfew. They’re a lot of fun to travel with and it’s always a good time! We all want to go again, so hopefully we can more of the countryside, which I’ve heard is beautiful!

Until next time! Tot zien! (“See you later” in Dutch)

No comments:

Post a Comment